Friday 14 November 2008

Turning Heretic

I want an Xbox. There , I've said it and it's out in the open. My friends already know, but its good to publicly declare it. I'm not going to turn into a MS fanboy - I still think their software sucks, but their hardware is surpising nice (especially the intellimice).

So , did I buy the arcade, the premium, or the elite ? No, I bought old banger that needed fixing. (Seriously, born 10 or 15 years earlier I would have spent my life as a garage mechanic fixing up old Ford Capris).

I picked up one for £30 on ebay that needed a 3 red light fix applied to it with the intent of fixing it and saving a few quid. These are harsh times after all, and the fact that buying one for a snap will give me some geek cred is of no importance to me at all.

Currently I'm waiting for it to arrive. I've got the fixing kit, a 20gb drive to go on it ( a steal itself, especially if I self upgrade that). I've even splashed out on a special tool to open it (£5, as opposed to £100 for a rockband instrument set , which is a necessity). Heck, I've even got a punch down tool to fix my home network wiring (because £50 for a USB wifi card is just too expensive).

All the bits are here except the box itself. I'll post back when it's arrived with my verdict on the fix.

No comments: