Tuesday 11 August 2009

Hooray for Unit Testing - Part Two

Following on from my last post about refactoring my character program from Serenity RGP to Galactica, I can now report that last night I finished fixing all the unit tests. So when I ran the program did it work or crash out badly? How comprehensive was my unit test coverage?



In theory , with all the tests fixed it should start. I should see Traits appearing as Dice values rather than Major or Minor. I timidly started the app, bracing myself for the biggest stack trace I'd ever seen.....



And it worked. Just like that, started up and displayed a character, with two complications (a D4 and a D2) and one D6 Asset. Wow, I hadn't expected that . Hoped for, but not expected.



Then I tried to add a new Trait and it bombed. Oh well, close enough to be pleased with. I was planning to refactor the GUI anyway, listing a bunch of Traits to choose from as a straight list , with each dice version of a trait as a seperate choice. I want a list of traits with each dice in a column to the right. Click on the dice for the trait you want.



Also on the boned list were the archetypes. This was a system where you could set up certain types of character (Fighter, Politician, Toilet Cleaner) and each archetype had weightings to favour or disfavour attributes and skills. Since the skills set and trait list were changed between systems I've dumped the old archetypes for now, I'll either retranslate them from Serenity or just write them again.



Now, should I look at the non-rectangular windows effects in java 6 and see if I can get the app to work with cut off corners?

No comments: