Wednesday 16 January 2013

Astronuts


Games, games, games (or silly games as my wife calls them).  For me they come and go, and usually there's a single game that occupies my attention for a while and then one day it's forgotten.  There are constants that stay longer, floating into the background (like Civilzation and Planetside) but I usually have a single game in focus.

Lately it's been Kernal Space Program .  Take control of a space program, build rockets and spacecraft, land on the moons and planets.  Currently in early alpha it's not a finished product by any means but it works and is an interesting little sandbox game.  You have to set your own goals and find your own entertainment within it but like lego it enables that pretty well.  It's impressive, and the fan support (and by extension fan mods) are extensive.  It's a game I would have been proud to make.


3..2..1.. make rocket go now !

So why didn't I ?  Why did this little gem come out of a group in (I think) Mexico City instead of Bridgwater  ?  It's not like the idea was new (Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space) and it's an idea that's ocurred to me before.  Details would have differed and I'd probably have skimped on the physics and produced something that looked nothing like this. But I produced no game at al.

I could argue that games take teams or that I dont have the time.  But the truth is I probably could have done it.  It's easier than ever these days and I've definitely got the programming experience.to pull it off.
The first Kerbal in space, the legendary Jebediah Kerbal

I think I lack perseverance in personal projects.  I've started many many and they litter my past like tiny little sins.  And lately this knowledge this is keeping me from even starting a new one.

Perhaps the easiest course is to go back to the most recently started one and try to finish it.  If I do, I'll kill two birds and post updates here.

Or perhaps this blog will get no updates for another four years.  Hello 2017 !

No comments: